Subject: Re: Making a Fence
From: Joe Angell <[email-masked]>
To: Keith Lea <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lightwave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 16:33:43 -0400 (EDT)

> I am trying to make a chain link fence for an animation.  The fence is 
> around a building.  I am trying to keep my polygon count down.  I have 
> tried modeling the fence with good results but considering how many links 
> I actually have to have the polygon count is just way to immense.  Anyone 
> out there have an Idea about making one.
> 
> I remember seeing an ad for something called snap maps that did pretty 
> good job with what looked like Clip Maps anyone have any experience with 
> this?  

I haven't used Snap Maps, but they're supposed to be really good!

Actaully, you might want to try rendering out your chain links with 
an Alpha channel.  Then, apply the color render as a color map, and the 
Alpha render as either a Clip or Transparency mpa (Clip is faster, and 
probably will work better).  It should give you a good faximille of your 
original object, but will work on a big, flat plane. Just don't get too 
close...

Also, you could make a bump map for the links by setting up a light 
perpendicular to the links.  Give it a falloff so the links are shaded 
brightest next to the camera, and fade completly to black at the far side 
of the links.  Render it out, and apply it as a bump map.  I THINK 
this'll work, anyway (haven't actually tried it).

You could use the above mapped onto a plane for most of the fence, and 
use the actually geometry where you have to get close to the fence.

Hope this helps...

-- Joe
--
Joe Angell <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]